Translate

Monday, February 6, 2012

ChiaoGoo Premium Bamboo Crochet Hooks (Review)


I recently spotted these crochet hooks on ebay and I read up on them a little and decided to check them out. I purchased 3 of them in different sizes. I am sometimes a little nervous when buying stuff on ebay because you can't always trust sellers on there. Well fortunately this seller was awesome. Although the packaging looks like it came from overseas, this product actually shipped from here in the US and it only took a couple of days! :) These were brand new items that were still sealed in the package and everything was just as described. These weren't very expensive either, only about a dollar more than I normally pay for aluminum hooks.


These hooks are made from a premium Chinese Moso bamboo. This is a very strong bamboo. They are handcrafted, which I find amazing. They had a couple of different colors, but I went with the natural ones. The  size is laser printed on the hook so that it will never fade, another great feature. On the back of the hook just opposite of the size, a word has been laser printed in both Chinese and English. The 3 hooks that I got had Freedom, Peace, and Love printed on them. 


When compared to aluminum crochet hooks (which is what I have most commonly used), they measure up about the same. Stitches come out exactly as they do with the aluminum ones. The tip has a slightly different angle to it which to me seems to grab hold of a string of yarn very easily. Yarn flows very smoothly across the surface of the hook. The bamboo hooks weigh much less than the aluminum ones and don't seem to tire out my hands as fast. One thing I liked a little more about these is that they are warm when you touch them. Aluminum hooks are always cold when I first pick them up. 

Overall I like these hooks a lot. I am actually thinking of purchasing a few more in different sizes. I won't stop using aluminum hooks all together, but I can definitely see myself switching between them and the bamboo much more in the future. If you are interested in finding these, the seller has a website. Visit  http://verticalproducts.com/  to find these bamboo hooks, knitting needles and other neat products. You can also search for them on ebay if you wanted. That's where I got mine! :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you posted a review of these. I made a trip to the Hobby Lobby last Friday determined to buy a new crochet hook to try other than the aluminum, and of course I wimped out because I don't like spending money on something I may or may not use. I had the bamboo in my cart but ended up putting it back (rats) now I wish I would have gotten it. I will definitely check out the website. Thanks again for posting your review.

    ReplyDelete